Flank steak is a lean cut of beef that is packed with nutrients and can be a healthy addition to your diet. In this article, we’ll explore the health benefits of flank steak and provide tips for making it a healthy part of your meals.
Health Benefits of Flank Steak:
Flank steak is a great source of protein, iron, and vitamin B12. A 3-ounce serving of flank steak contains around 23 grams of protein, which is important for building and repairing muscle tissue. Iron is important for carrying oxygen throughout your body, and a 3-ounce serving of flank steak provides around 2.2 milligrams of iron. Finally, vitamin B12 is important for the health of your nervous system and a 3-ounce serving of flank steak provides around 1.5 micrograms of vitamin B12.
In addition to these important nutrients, flank steak is also a good source of zinc, selenium, and phosphorus. Zinc is important for the immune system, while selenium is important for thyroid health. Phosphorus is important for bone health and a 3-ounce serving of flank steak provides around 170 milligrams of phosphorus.
Tips for Making Flank Steak Healthy:
While flank steak is a healthy choice, it’s important to prepare it in a way that doesn’t add unnecessary calories or fat. Here are some tips for making flank steak healthy:
- Choose lean cuts of flank steak: Look for flank steak that is labeled as “lean” or “extra lean.” This means that the meat has less than 10 grams of fat per 3-ounce serving.
- Watch your portion sizes: A 3-ounce serving of flank steak is about the size of a deck of cards. Aim to have one serving of flank steak per meal.
- Trim the fat: Flank steak can have some visible fat on the edges. Trim off as much of the fat as possible to reduce your intake of saturated fat.
- Use healthy cooking methods: Avoid deep-frying or pan-frying flank steak in oil. Instead, try grilling, broiling, or roasting it. These cooking methods allow the fat to drip away from the meat, reducing the calorie and fat content of your meal.
- Pair flank steak with healthy sides: Instead of serving flank steak with high-calorie sides like French fries or potato chips, try pairing it with steamed vegetables, a side salad, or roasted sweet potatoes.
Healthy Flank Steak Recipes:
Now that you know how to make flank steak healthy, here are some healthy flank steak recipes to try:
- Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Salsa: Season a lean flank steak with salt and pepper, then grill it to your desired doneness. Top it with a simple salsa made from diced avocado, tomato, red onion, and lime juice.
- Asian Stir-Fry with Flank Steak and Vegetables: Cut a lean flank steak into thin strips, then stir-fry it with your favorite vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, and snow peas. Use a low-sodium soy sauce and a bit of honey for flavor.
- Flank Steak Salad with Grilled Vegetables: Grill a lean flank steak along with some bell peppers, onions, and zucchini. Slice the steak and serve it on a bed of mixed greens with the grilled vegetables and a simple vinaigrette dressing.
Flank steak is a healthy choice for anyone looking to increase their intake of protein, iron, and other important nutrients. By following these tips for making it healthy, you can enjoy the delicious taste of flank steak while also reaping its many health benefits.